* Preloved * Comedy Book : Acquired Tastes

Item : Comedy Book
Title : Acquired Tastes
Publisher : Bantam Books
Author : Peter Mayle
Pages : 299
Type : Paperback
Condition : 9/10 (Read once)
Original Price : RM 37
KamBaiMo's Selling Price : RM 10 (please add RM 3 only for postage)
Reason For Selling : Clearing out my bookcase
Status : AVAILABLE (1 unit only)

Synopsis
This is a collection of pieces Mayle did for Esquire. It’s pure froth. The only reason I can imagine ever looking at this book again is as a reference to some specific resource. That said, it was fun. And it got me thinking. Essentially Esquire let Mayle explore aspects of the good life on their expense account, a job I’m sure he enjoyed. He took an extremely practical approach to certain luxuries: a company plane, handmade shoes, $1000 Panama hats, bespoke suits, limo service. I have to say I don’t disagree with him in the main. Certainly in many cases what seems like luxury turned out to be a reasonable expense. As pricey as a company plane is, it’s cheaper than buying a lot of tickets hither and yon. Likewise a limo in Chapel Hill probably isn’t worth it, but in New York it isn’t that much more than taxis and is much more valuable (in peace of mind) than owning a car and having to keep it up, and keep it garaged, and having to find someplace to park it. Kept lovers aren’t worth it, I don’t think, nor are servants. I’d rather hire a service to clean my house than have to put someone up or worry about taxes and social security and sick days and all that rot. Real artistry is worth it, handmade shoes and tailor-made clothes that are exquisite, comfy, and long-lasting. The really intriguing idea was the hotel versus the second home idea. I’d rather stay in a wonderful hotel with a marvelous chef, and room service, and all of that than worry about keeping something up all year for a two week vacation. Some food is worth it to me, really good wine or scotch probably aren’t. House guests are.[return:]It’s interesting to think about: what one would do with great wealth if one had it. Comfort and beauty would be two biggies for me, high style would not, trendy would not.

the book

To order : email kambaimo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails